How to keep going when the going gets tough is a question we all face from time to time. We all encounter times when life is tough, and we may wonder if we are ever going to get to where we want to be, whether we have what it takes to get there, or even if we have what it takes to keep going.
In this video and article, I want to share with you 8 practical ways that can help you keep going when the going gets tough.
- Look at how far you have come rather than how far you have to go. Looking at your progress, which you can actually measure because it has already been accomplished, is encouraging. When we stop and look at how much we have already achieved, we often realize that we have achieved quite a lot, and that we haven’t really noticed this because the advancement has been made step by step. When you appreciate yourself for the progress you have made, this can help you to remember that you will continue to make more improvement, and that eventually this progress is going to get you to where you want to be.
- Keep your vision in sight. Write out your dream, your vision, what you’d like to happen, and read it every day. Detail what your life will be like, how it will feel, how it will look when you have achieved your goals. Remind yourself of what you want, and tell yourself that you will have it. It can also be very helpful to create visual reminders, such as a vision board. A vision board is a collection of pictures and words that allow you to actually see your goals on a daily basis. You don’t even need to cut pictures from magazines – you can create an online version on Pinterest or find images in Google Images.
- Take breaks when you need to. Watch a funny movie, talk to a friend, get out in nature, get some exercise. At various points when the going is tough, these strategies can ease the pressure, and give us the fuel we need to keep going when the going gets tough.
- Get support. Find someone who will encourage you, whether this is a friend or family member, a support professional such as a career coach or a therapist, or someone you can connect with online through forums or social networks.
- Read and listen to inspiring and uplifting material. Books, articles and audio products can provide a great deal of encouragement.
- Just take the next step. When it feels like you have been climbing uphill forever, and there isn’t an end in sight, it is all too easy to feel like you can’t keep going, because it seems like you have to find the stamina for a never-ending journey. All you have to do is just take one more step. That is all we ever have to do; all we can do, is take the next step.
- Put yourself on automatic pilot. Stop wondering if you have what it takes to keep going, and just put one foot in front of the other. Just point your body in the direction that you want it to go, stop thinking, and just do it.
- Have faith. Whether your faith is in God or a Higher Power, in the perfect order of the Universe, in hard work and discipline, in karma and destiny or simply faith in yourself, faith is one of the most vital things that can help you keep going when the going gets tough.
It can be tough to keep going when the going gets tough, but I hope you have found these 8 ways to keep going encouraging. We all have those times that we just feel like giving up, but the difference between success and failure is determined by whether we give into our feelings of discouragement, or whether we find those extra reserves of courage that we all possess deep down, and find a way to just keep going when the going gets tough.
I’d also love to hear what strategies you use to keep going when the going gets tough? Please post your comment below!
If you would like to get some help with your career challenges, please answer a few questions at http://www.talkwithmargaret.com to apply for your complimentary discovery session.
Margaret Buj is an Interview Coach who’s helped hundreds of professionals across Europe and the US to get the jobs and promotions they really wanted. Margaret also has 9 years of experience recruiting for a variety of positions at all levels across Europe and in the US, primarily in technology and e-commerce sectors. If you want to find out how recruiters read resumes, why you are not getting hired, how to sell yourself successfully in a job interview, and how to negotiate your best salary yet, you can download her FREE “You’re HIRED!” video course.