WordPress is popular for a reason. This content management system is easy to use for beginners, and offers great tools to improve the quality of your website, from design to SEO. If you’re not sure how to get the best SEO options from your WordPress site, use this simple tips to improve your search rankings.
- Use an SEO agency to build your SEO strategy. SEO requirements change a lot, and keeping up with the constant changes in search engine algorithms is difficult, especially if SEO isn’t in your area of expertise. An agency will be up to date with any changes and will know the best way to optimise your site for ranking.
- Keep an eye on your site loading speed. Slow loading can cause real issues. Not only is it off putting for a visitor to your site, but it makes them more likely to click away without visiting other pages, driving up your site’s bounce rate. Google factors site speed into your search rankings, and will favour sites that are faster to load. Make sure your site host is reliable, so you know you’ve got a cheap dedicated server behind you.
- Prevent search engines from indexing your site before it’s ready to be seen. While you’re working on setting up your site, you’ll be making a lot of changes. This looks bad to any human visitors if they arrive on site while you’re moving things around, and it also looks bad to Google, as you’ll likely be changing site structure and creating errors. In your WordPress settings, you’ll find an option that disallows search engines from indexing your site. Tick the box by that option, and change your site around as much as you like without causing your rankings to suffer. When you’re ready for the site to go public, uncheck the option, and your site will start to be indexed by the search engines.
- Install an .xml sitemap plugin. With a sitemap plugin, Google can see your whole site structure, and find every page, making the indexing of your site much faster, getting your ranking more quickly.
- Install an SEO plugin. The best plugins for SEO will do a lot of the hard work for you, and help you to remember best practice. Use the plugin to manage metadata, no indexing, broken link redirection, speed up your site, manage links and more. Moreover, It would be useful to check which SEO plugins are used by sites that are on the first lines of google search engine and choose the most relevant ones for yourself. Some tools like plugin detectors can help you with that as well.
- Block spam comments. Spam comments don’t look good, to search engines or to site visitors. They’re annoying for users, so should be blocked or deleted as soon as you spot them. Spam that shares links to questionable, low quality sites can hurt your search rankings, as Google will see it as you leaving up links to bad content.
- Use internal links. For any new piece of content you create, try to link it to other, older relevant content already on your site. This helps Google to find more pages on your site, improving your overall site rankings. It also helps to keep people on your site for longer, as they move around to different pages.\
Remember, if you’re still struggling to get the best SEO options from your WordPress site despite following the above advice, then you could always compare the various SEO Firm choices available and look at how their services could help you rank better. Whilst you will save money doing it yourself, sometimes you need to enlist the help of the experts.