Many people dream about having the right job that will provide them with enough pay to live a comfortable life. They want to have the highest−paid jobs. Many people dream about getting the money instantly, but most people would like to earn it. Those who are in the field of IT are aware that different jobs are available for them. Some of these jobs will give them the salaries that they believe they deserve. For example, some companies invest in talented people to give them the best work for the business. The cost of CTO for some companies can go up to more than $150,000 every year. Small companies will find it hard to sustain giving that type of salary.
Top 3 Highest Paying Jobs in IT
Different technology professionals may have the right set of skills to make it big. They must get to know their skills to find the best jobs with the best salaries. These are the top 3 highest paying jobs in IT:
- Big Data Engineer
Some businesses need raw data that will be transformed and analyzed. They would need the right information to set up strategies, decide on a few things, and make innovative plans. These things will only be possible with the help of a big data engineer. Big data engineers are in charge of the company’s software and hardware architecture. To become a big data engineer, people need to have a degree in computer science. Expertise in mathematics will also be a must.
- DevOps Engineer
The DevOps Engineer is considered to be the middle person that will be in between engineering and coding. They are in charge of working in between departments to ensure that the company will increase its productivity. The DevOps Engineer will be in charge of developing the different IT systems that the company needs. They need to have a lot of experience in coding. They also need to be familiar with software engineering and creating security systems. They need to have skills in collaboration and problem-solving.
- Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
It is considered to be a dream to land the position of CTO. Many tech professionals aim to get this position when they reach a certain age. The main goal of the CTO is to oversee different products and to ensure that product development is being done properly. Being a leader means that there is a constant need to learn. The skills that people have maybe okay, but they will never be enough. People need to learn to reach this position and maintain it constantly.
There are still many IT professionals who would like to get any of these three positions to ensure that they will be earning enough.
What Skills Should People Have as CTO
The main requirement of people who are trying to aim for the position of CTO is to learn constantly. They need to make sure that they will learn different technologies. Technology is set to have changed every single day. You cannot expect that things will remain the same always. For the company to be successful, a CTO should always be updated with all of the changes. Make learning something important in your daily routine.
These are some of the skills that an effective CTO should have:
- Patience: There will be times when other people will be more knowledgeable about a certain topic than the CTO. Being diplomatic and patient in listening to other people will truly help.
- People Skills: The CTO will not be effective if he doesn’t have the right people skills. As a leader, you need to be sure that you can inspire other people. You want to execute your projects properly. A CTO should always be empathetic towards other people and should see the team members grow well.
- Ability to Think Strategically: CTOs should have the ability to look at the bigger picture. It is always the CTO’s main duty to lead the team in the right direction. The CTO should also be clear about the goal so that people who are working under the CTO will also have that same goal in mind.
Pros and Cons of Being a CTO
You should have in mind that being a CTO is crucial because it involves decision-making under a time constraints. There will be times when people need to move and need to make the right decision. If they don’t, then the whole company will fail. Like any other job position, this will come with some advantages and disadvantages.
- The CTO will be able to have the power to change the course of the company literally.
- It will be easier to identify the success of a company through the CTO’s actions.
- There will always be an improvement in some conflict−prevention skills.
- The role of the CTO will always change over time.
- There is always a high risk that the CTO is going to have a meltdown.
- There is always a chance of making a big mistake.
The CTO job comes with a lot of responsibilities. People who are not prepared for it may resign from the position immediately. Some will also feel that perhaps they lack the skills to sustain the position.
One of the most important things about being a CTO is knowing what your goal is. If your goal is to improve the company constantly, this is something that you have to work on constantly as a CTO. You cannot take a break from it. The CTO is one of the top positions that you can have in an IT company. The Chief Technology Officer’s salary may reach about $162,000 annually. This is more than enough for a lot of people. Take note that this can still change depending on the company that the person is working for.