Do you want to create a location independent lifestyle? Are you an expat dreaming about exploring new countries or an expat partner looking to create a career around your international life so you don’t have to reinvent yourself every time you move? Then a portable career is an option for you!
This type of career is based on your skill set, gifts, values and first of all the vision of your desired lifestyle. And with the help of the technology, you have many opportunities to take your career with you. You can coach people on different challenges via Skype, teach languages online, create online programmes, build websites, organise Yoga retreats, become a virtual assistant, freelance writing … and much more. You can combine all your passions and create multiple income streams. In today’s post, you will find some tools which will help you get clear about your portable career idea.
- Your life vision. The first step is to understand how do you want your life to look like?
How do you imagine your life in a host country or the country you dream to live? Where do you want to travel? Where do you want to live?
How would you like to start and finish your day?
What would your ideal work hours be? How are you going to structure your day while travelling?
When you are clear about your life vision it is much easier to match your dream career with your desired lifestyle. So take a few minutes or hours and answer the questions above.
- Get clear on your skills, gifts and talents. What are your skills, your experience, and interests? How can you use your skills to serve others? How can you connect the dots and create a portable career based on your skills, interests, gifts, passions? For example, I wanted to build something based on my international experience, my background in psychology, recruitment, career advice and customer service and I came up with career coaching for expats.
Ask yourself: What are my natural gifts and talents? What comes naturally to me? Very often we take those gifts, talents or activities for granted. We may even think that there is nothing special in those gifts, tasks that are also simple for others. It can be very misleading. Take a moment and make a list of 10 things, activities, tasks which are very simple for you for example like organising files, writing a copy, networking or making connections, helping others to choose an outfit.
- Your clients. Who do you want to serve? Think about who can pay you for what you have to offer? Who can pay you for your skills, gifts and talents? Who are your clients and what are their challenges? Do your research. Write down your ideal client avatar.
- Remote work. When creating a portable career you don’t have to focus only on building an online business. There are many companies who are employing remote workers. Remote jobs allow you to work from home or places around the world. You don’t have to be in the office. You can work as a Social Media Manager, Website Designer, Writer, Translator or Customer Service Rep. Those are some examples. Once again do your research and explore your options.
- If you are thinking about creating a portable career/business and you want more tips and resources get Take Your Career With You Interview Series – 27 interviews with worldwide experts, online business owners, expats and digital nomads. You will learn from leading experts who are sharing with you their secrets about building their portable careers and businesses. Click here for more info.
Take your actions, go brainstorm your ideas, map out your life vision and explore your skills. Think about your potential clients or how can you add value or help people, organisations or companies using your gifts. Start with a small step.
Dominika Miernik is a Career Coach & Business Idea Generator for women. She has lived and worked in Manchester, London, Milan and Rome. She now helps expat women to pursue their true passions and create a portable career or business around their international life. In 2015 she was named the best International Coach by The Coaching Academy.
Find out more at http://dmcoaching.eu/